FQF recap

* We arrived at 10:50 on Sunday and not a parking space in sight. The lots were full so I did the ole’ “Look kids… Big Ben, Jackson Square, Brewery” tour (ya, I was driving in circles like a complete moron)! The meter maids were out in full-force (they really should give it a rest on festivals!!! – HELLO – TOURISM) and I figured a ticket would cost more than paid parking.

Do I need to take a class on how to read the cryptic messages on whether a sign is a tow away zone now or maybe tomorrow morning or the first Saturday of months ending with “R” when the moon is full??? Phew – hotel parking open to the public $18 total for 5 hours – cheaper than a ticket or even worse – a tow. Honestly, I need to come up with a system for parking when I head to the French Quarter. Maybe I need to park on the outskirts and take a cab or something? UGH! Help the clueless por favor!

* I had the 3 rugmonsters alone with me for the day and we were off to walk around and hear some music on a made-to-order weather day!!!!

* Mom needs a Pat O’Brien’s Bloody Mary in Jackson Square! $5 well spent!

* The kids wanted to head to the river front so we hit the river stages – we ate crabcakes and cheesecake – YUM – and parked it for a while! Then the kids got antsy after an hour and wanted to see more.img_3292.JPGimg_3289.JPG

* LOVED this homeless man’s sign and yes – I gave him money because I took his picture! It says “Private jet needs fuel.” “A” for creativity! img_3307.JPG

* Daughter begged to see the group that performs acrobatics on the stairs across from Jackson Square. We enjoyed the show as usual, but 11 yo said they had gotten a little “racier” since the last time we saw them. Geesh – if he notices…

Two members of the group will be on America’s Got Talent after American Idol season is over. Wish them luck. BTW – they are very funny and talented but maybe they could tone it down with a few less “gay & straight” sexual overtones for the little ones.
img_3318.JPG

* We met up with my pal Ray and his most animated friend Andrew who (small world creepy story here) was at University of Maine in Orono when I was (Twilight Zone music here).

* We walked around some more – watched a magic show – what kid doesn’t enjoy magic – he was OK and daughter loved the pregnant balloon animal he made her (ugh – it had a baby balloon in its’ tummy).

* MEN – LISTEN UP!!!! The attire for public festivals includes a shirt! Unless you are on the lake, the river or in a swimming pool – I do not want to see your good or bad abs!!!!! Of course, I enjoy seeing Ramon (my imaginary pool boy) out in the backyard without his shirt each and every day! The picture here is the view I had toward the stage…no thank you! img_3291.JPG

* I love people watching – could do it all day! img_3310.JPG

* Good news – nobody was dying for a potty break until we picked up the car and we got to use the hotel clean oasis! Yay for kids having good bladders. And smart for me not to have a second Bloody Mary or even a beer!

***Read KMG every day on both NOLA.com and my personal blog! Be sure to mark April 19th 3:00 on your calendar for my premier radio show on WIST AM 690!

8 Responses to FQF recap

1. sandi_hunnicutt April 14, 2008 at 4:42 am #

Looks like ya’ll had a great time at Quarter Fest. Would have loved to have been there this weekend. I’m coming in on Wednesday for a week! Woot! Woot! For the past two years our visit there had fallen BETWEEN French Quarter Fest and the first weekend of Jazz Fest. (gggrrrr!) So unfortunately I miss out. Are there any can’t miss things happening next this weekend??

2. Don Singleton April 14, 2008 at 5:47 am #

What about public transportation? This mentions streetcars AND buses. here is a list of the routes, and here is a map of the entire New Orleans Regional Transit Authority system. I would bet you can find a shopping center with free parking, and take NORTA the rest of the way. With TransPass you can rride all day, every day for $55/month, and for shorter periods, a VisiTour Pass for 1 day is $5, and 3 days is $12.

3. Pontchartrain Pete April 14, 2008 at 9:36 am #

Parking is always a voodoo exercise in the Quarter. Trying to decipher three or four signs to figure out whether a spot is safe or not while moving is a talent I have not mastered in 20+ years. Festivals, New Years, Mardi Gras and big sporting events add to the madness. There is no secret, you just cruise around once to find a street spot, if there are none, then head to the pay lots.

4. Pam April 14, 2008 at 10:14 am #

The trick is to park way down on St Charles, & take the streetcar in. Only a bit over a dollar a head & the parking is free.

5. Greta April 14, 2008 at 11:29 am #

Pam – I’m starting to think that may be the best option! Thanks for the suggestion.

Pete – you seriously drive around like I did?

Sandi – Always something to do even if there is no festival in town. Check your mailbox!

6. S April 14, 2008 at 11:38 am #

Look at it this way – at least that shirtless guy wasn’t a hairy shirtless guy – nothing is worse that that.

7. Pontchartrain Pete April 14, 2008 at 5:33 pm #

Parking minimum is usually around $8 no matter what day it is. I always look for a spot on the street first. That means riding around. It’s not like there’s nothing to look at. Look for a space, people watch, architecture, etc. It’s a good way to learn your way around.

8. Don Singleton April 15, 2008 at 10:28 am #

I submitted a long response with several links to the parking question. I think it must have fallen in the spam filter