* We arrived at 10:50 on Sunday and not a parking space in sight. The lots were full so I did the ole’ “Look kids… Big Ben, Jackson Square, Brewery” tour (ya, I was driving in circles like a complete moron)! The meter maids were out in full-force (they really should give it a rest on festivals!!! – HELLO – TOURISM) and I figured a ticket would cost more than paid parking.
Do I need to take a class on how to read the cryptic messages on whether a sign is a tow away zone now or maybe tomorrow morning or the first Saturday of months ending with “R” when the moon is full??? Phew – hotel parking open to the public $18 total for 5 hours – cheaper than a ticket or even worse – a tow. Honestly, I need to come up with a system for parking when I head to the French Quarter. Maybe I need to park on the outskirts and take a cab or something? UGH! Help the clueless por favor!
* I had the 3 rugmonsters alone with me for the day and we were off to walk around and hear some music on a made-to-order weather day!!!!
* Mom needs a Pat O’Brien’s Bloody Mary in Jackson Square! $5 well spent!
* The kids wanted to head to the river front so we hit the river stages – we ate crabcakes and cheesecake – YUM – and parked it for a while! Then the kids got antsy after an hour and wanted to see more.
* Daughter begged to see the group that performs acrobatics on the stairs across from Jackson Square. We enjoyed the show as usual, but 11 yo said they had gotten a little “racier” since the last time we saw them. Geesh – if he notices…
Two members of the group will be on America’s Got Talent after American Idol season is over. Wish them luck. BTW – they are very funny and talented but maybe they could tone it down with a few less “gay & straight” sexual overtones for the little ones.
* We met up with my pal Ray and his most animated friend Andrew who (small world creepy story here) was at University of Maine in Orono when I was (Twilight Zone music here).
* We walked around some more – watched a magic show – what kid doesn’t enjoy magic – he was OK and daughter loved the pregnant balloon animal he made her (ugh – it had a baby balloon in its’ tummy).
* MEN – LISTEN UP!!!! The attire for public festivals includes a shirt! Unless you are on the lake, the river or in a swimming pool – I do not want to see your good or bad abs!!!!! Of course, I enjoy seeing Ramon (my imaginary pool boy) out in the backyard without his shirt each and every day! The picture here is the view I had toward the stage…no thank you!
* Good news – nobody was dying for a potty break until we picked up the car and we got to use the hotel clean oasis! Yay for kids having good bladders. And smart for me not to have a second Bloody Mary or even a beer!